Friday, July 01, 2005

Dorky, Geeky & Nerdy

Happy Friday everyone! Only three more days until the start of the next work week! Yes!

I love watching fireworks ... from the woman who has to go, “oooo-ahhhh” after every firework, to the kid who is determined to figure out which firework is their favorite, to the guy obsessed with guessing when the grand finale is starting – fireworks are always a good time.

Pre-vacation excitement (8 days till Vegas) – call me nerdy, call me geeky, but there is something cool about the whole getting a haircut/doing laundry/shopping/tanning/packing-frenzy that occurs the week leading up to a much-anticipated vacation. I have so many errands to run and things to do between now and next Saturday that I even created a “to-do” calendar on Excel. Yeah, you heard me right, on Excel. I have tasks ranging from “don’t forget to charge the digital camera” to “buy new sunglasses – don’t be tempted to buy Elvis sunglasses just because you are going to Vegas.”

By the way, a great debate to have with your friends is what’s worse, being a dork, geek or nerd?

George Lucas recently announced that Scarlett Johansson will be the voice of Darth Vader in the next Star Wars film.


I am embarrassed to say that I used the disastrous and amazingly ineffective, “my friend wants to talk to you” line at the bar the other night. Ugh. I might as well have said, “I have a scab that needs picking, can you help?” It would have gone over just as well. Someone in my position should not be descending to such banter. That’s like Tom Cruise talking about psychiatry or George Bush making a speech – it should never happen. So to all that were involved, I am sorry.

Not to be gross, but can someone explain to me what’s the deal with that post-tanning bed smell? Is it the tanning lotion? The ultra-violet rays? Sweat? A combination? Probably one of my least favorite smells – up there with that airplane smell, burnt popcorn, manure and Bucknell.

Speaking of Bucknell, it’s time for my first KU blog remark. For those who may not know, I am an alumnus of the University of Kansas – and I LOVE Jayhawk sports, especially basketball. When college basketball season rolls around, expect many-a-column to be dedicated to the performance of the basketball team. I can’t wait.

Anyway, to say the least the last two years have been rough on those of us who Wave the Wheat and Rock Chalk. From losing a very winnable championship game against Syracuse and then losing our ridiculously successful and iconic coach Roy Williams to North Carolina a week later, to an up-and-down first season under Bill Self, to losing several key recruits to transfer after that season, to an under-achieving freshman class, to embarrassingly losing to Bucknell in the first round of NCAA tournament and then watching Roy finally win the championship with Tarheels – it’s been one of those stretches from back in high school when you get dumped by your girlfriend, get in a fight with your best friend, flunk a test, get yelled at by your boss, get a speeding ticket driving home and find a massive zit on your forehead all within a couple of days – except for us Jayhawk fans – it has lasted two years. Not good.

So yesterday I learned that JR Giddens is transferring (and the hits just keep on comin’). JR had a disappointing sophomore season which preceded him being stabbed in the calf in a bar fight last month - not exactly winning the hearts and minds of Jayhawk fans. But with JR leaving (Coach Roy just lost his top seven scorers off his championship team, and he needs players, I wonder if JR will sport Carolina blue in the near future?) Wayne Simien, Aaron Miles, Keith Langford and Michael Lee graduating, and Alex Galindo transferring, that’s a lot of experience, points and rebounds not stepping onto the gigantic Jayhawk in Allen Fieldhouse next year. In fact, the only returning starter will be former walk-on Christian Moody. Yikes. Granted we have three stud freshmen coming in, and it’s hard to imagine our sophomores could do any worse than last year, but I have that feeling in my stomach that you get when you are driving down the road and a cop pulls up behind you. You don’t know what’s going to happen next and it is a 50/50 chance it could end up bad. Last Thanksgiving I wrote that I was thankful for the great job that Bill Self was doing, I really don’t want to have to take that comment back this Thanksgiving, but we are going to be a really, really young and inexperienced team this season.

I don’t want to ramble on too long about KU basketball because I have all of November through March to do that.

I want to give a special birthday shout-out to my good friend and fellow blogger, Jasmine! (Her blog
http://jasminesdrivel.blogspot.com
is an edgy, girl-oriented look at being a single professional in Denver – it’s pretty funny stuff, give it a read sometime.) Happy birthday Jasmine - you sick ... rhymes with duck.

A guy just walked by my desk, and the pattern on his shirt is the same pattern I have on my boxers.

Have a safe and fun 4th of July everyone.

No comments: